Apr 22, 2010

CO: Green Declares Independence from the Party

In a post at the Denver Metro Green website, former Green Party candidate for US House, Dave Chandler, explains why he has decided to leave the Green Party and become an independent:
I'm not writing here a lofty essay explaining some deep, consequential philosophical divergence from the Green Party of Colorado . . .  In my case, I still find attractive and persuasive the ideas and goals of the Green Party's 'Ten Key Values'. I am also very committed to the belief that the current political and governmental structures in this country have been irredeemably corrupted by corporate and other special interest money. I, therefore, still believe that it may take an effective and dedicated third party -- with strong adherence to rejecting 'big money' -- to reform and re-democratize our Republic.
However, as has been the case with many third parties in the past in the United States, finding the resources and tenacity to continue fighting the "two party system" is very difficult and discouraging most of the time. Without an overarching great issue, like the Iraq war debate in 2002, a third party tends to lose the volunteer energy that allows it to grow or even to survive . . . 

Perhaps soon there will be a third political force in the country that will battle to honestly bring much needed reform and progressive change to our governmental institutions. If that happens, I'll be on board. In the mean time, I am now part of that persuadable cohort of 'independents' who decide elections -- have at me!

No comments: