Apr 21, 2010

ME: Independent Whitcomb Makes His Case in Op-Ed

Independent candidate for governor of Maine, John Whitcomb, writes in an op-ed for the Morning Sentinel:
the majority of those running have been in the government system for years, in one capacity or another, without lifting a finger to make a difference. Now, they want to be elected to public office. They've tired of being "behind the scenes" and want power over your lives. The gloves are off, and anything can be said -- as long as it convinces the voting public.

Money talks, and political campaigns are designed to sell a product. Candidates are repackaged, negatives are quashed, commercials and press releases are carefully worded to tell us "what we want to hear." It becomes a game. Whoever has the most clout, cash and media savvy will win. Many of you may not know who I am. I don't have the luxury of traveling the state and pushing my issues. My voice can barely be heard above the crowded field of candidates.

I don't have campaign funds to finance ads. The reason is simple: I work every day to provide for my family. That's what separates me from others in a very crowded field. I have a basic understanding of and appreciation for hard work.

No comments: