May 16, 2010

VT: Independent Candidate Calls Ballot Access Regime "Election Calvinball"

From Todd for VT House:
As I tweeted the other day, the Legislature very bravely changed this year's election rules very late in the game, so the Secretary of State has moved up filing deadlines for Independent candidates from September to June.  I had planned to have all my signatures collected by the original early date of June 7th, but was counting on the extra cushion just in case things got dicey with Sam--indeed, my first week of planned work on the ground was stymied by his teething, roseola and first header off the couch!
Regardless of my individual situation, this election year change of election year rules is not only patently unfair, undemocratic and a cynical ploy to lock out candidates outside the major parties from where I sit, it could also be illegal . . .

No comments: