Oct 10, 2010

In Defense of the Constitution Party: A Conservative Speaks Out

From Scott Weldon at the By Grace Alone blog:
I’ve shared here before my personal pilgrimage from a longtime supporter of the Republican Party to now being a full fledged supporter of the Constitution Party. (You can read here and here if you’d like) But I continue to receive questions from well meaning friends about how I can be so foolish as to support a third party when everyone knows they can never win.

So I felt compelled to share a few thoughts once again. First of all, I refuse to agree with the “they can never win” mantra. As I’ve said before, if good and godly people would stop looking at the “pragmatic” way to vote and would vote their conscience, a third party, or any candidate could win in a landslide. It’s been done before. Remember that the GOP was a third party at one time. . . .

Furthermore, I’m simply tired of throwing away my vote. I know that there are many who say voting for a third party is throwing away my vote, but I strongly disagree. To “throw away” you vote means to cast it without meaning, in a worthless way. How much more worthless can it be to vote for someone who you don’t even believe in simply because they are part of one of the two dominant parties, or more accurately because they are NOT of the other party. Never mind conviction, we just vote because “well, it’s better than the alternative.”  I refuse to accept that. I refuse to give in to that “lesser of two evils” argument . . .  
Read the whole thing.

No comments: