Jun 7, 2010

Exclusive: Interview with Eliot Cutler, Independent Candidate for Governor of Maine

Over the weekend, Foster's Daily Democrat published a profile of independent candidate for governor of Maine, Eliot Cutler, calling him "one to watch" in 2010.  In the November gubernatorial election, Cutler will be competing with at least two other independents as well as the candidates of the Democratic and Republican parties, who will be chosen in tomorrow's primary election.  I recently contacted Mr. Cutler's campaign and conducted a short interview via email, covering the movement toward independent politics, issues that are likely to prove decisive in the race for governor, and the DGA and RGA's recent attacks on independent candidates for governor in the northeast, among other things.  The interview follows in full:

TPID: Why do Maine voters appear to be so open to competitive three-person races and independent governance? Given national trends, the state's history of independent governors and competitive three-person races is anomalous.
The people of Maine pride themselves on their independence and this affects how we vote as well. Independent, or unenrolled, voters are the largest single voting bloc in Maine and the vast majority of those who belong to a political party in Maine are "independent" voters in the sense that do not always vote a straight party ballot.  Two of the last five governors in Maine have been Independents, and I believe the voters will make it three for six this fall. While you characterize Maine as anomalous, I prefer to characterize Maine as being out in front of the rest of the country in terms of putting the person ahead of the party!
TPID: Ahead of the Democratic and Republican primaries, the race is wide open, with many undecided voters.  What are going to be decisive issues in this campaign?
The decisive issues will be who has the best plan to get Maine's economy moving again and creating jobs, and who has the experience, competence and leadership skills to turn our state around. I have put forth a plan to lower the cost of energy, healthcare, and government -- our major barriers to job creation -- and to invest in Maine's competitive advantages (much more at cutler2010.com). Party labels and ideology will be irrelevant, or at least secondary issues, in this year's race. 
TPID: Why have you opted to run outside of the two-party system?  How will an independent governor work with a state legislature dominated by Democrats and Republicans?
I am running as an Independent because I am one. When I worked for Sen. Edmund Muskie and President Jimmy Carter, the Democratic Party was the party of reform.  I believe that at least in Maine, it no longer is.  I left the Democratic Party in 2005 when the current Democratic governor tried to borrow money in the bond market to pay current government operating expenses; I thought that was fiscally irresponsible.  I also had become increasingly dissatisfied with the straightjacket in which the state Democratic Party found itself as a consequence of the Party's increasing servitude to public employees' unions.

I supported a moderate Republican who lost his party's primary to a social conservative in the 2006 governor's race.  I have since concluded that the leadership of both parties has become captive to the various special interests that control them and that they are both incapable to governing from the moderate center.  I am committed to doing that and to giving voice and representation to what I believe is an overwhelming majority of independent and moderate Maine voters who want to see Maine government work again.

I will work with a state legislature dominated by Democrats and Republicans by providing strong leadership, outlining a clear vision for our state, embracing good ideas regardless of which party offers them, and making my case directly to the people of Maine whenever I need  to.  My whole career has been about bringing people together to accomplish things that others said couldn't be done.  
TPID: What are your stances on Tuesday's various ballot measures?
Question 1 -- tax reform.  I will vote to sustain the new law because to the extent that it moves Maine towards taxing consumption, as opposed to income and investment, it is moving the state in the right direction. I believe we should give the law a chance.  Neither supporters nor opponents of the repeal can predict with real certainty what the impact will be, but I have pledged that if the law does not live up to its promise of reducing the overall tax burden on Maine people or proves to be a detriment to job creation and investment in our state, then as governor I will be the first to call for changes.

Bonds - 2, 3, 4, 5.  Although I am concerned about the state's indebtedness, especially unfunded pension liabilities, I will vote for the various bond issues in hopes that the money will attract additional investment that will have a positive impact on the state's economy.
TPID: In recent weeks and months, the Democratic and Republican Governors Associations have strongly attacked promising independent candidates for governor in the northeast, specifically Tim Cahill in Massachusetts and Lincoln Chafee in Rhode Island.  In April, there was some tension between your campaign and the RGA because of the video "tracker" they had hired to follow you.  Has anything come of that, have they let up or doubled down, or has is just become part of the campaign's backdrop?
As for the RGA and DGA, I expect similar attacks here in Maine. The tracker issue was around the woman lying to me about who she was and what she was doing at a candidates' forum far from her home. The insiders thought it was no big deal, but our campaign sure heard from a lot of regular voters who were disgusted by the whole thing. It's just part of the backdrop for now, but I'm sure there is more to come.  
TPID: Thank you for taking the time to answer these questions!    

3 comments:

Alex Steed said...

Thank you for featuring this interview with Elliott Cutler, which I greatly enjoyed reading.

I am running for a Maine State House seat as an independent, and other strong, independent candidates running for higher levels of government help to inspire me and my run. I imagine that it can otherwise be discouraging to be a "non-traditional" candidate without having the momentum that we are lucky to have in Maine.

We do have a rich tradition of independent candidacy in this state, especially in the governor's seat (as Angus King - a strong independent - remains in all of our memories), and thus I think that Elliott has a pretty good shot. Further, I have heard from a lot of folks on the middle who aren't particularly excited by either of the party candidates.

I am running as an independent because - as a millennial who is interested in getting other young people involved in the process - I find that the party structures/identifications do not particularly resonate with many people my age. I was featured in an issue of Our Future is TBD yesterday, and they quoted me:

A true millennial, he’s rebuffed any party affiliation. “I do not care to be viewed in a context that factors in a yesterday-focused nostalgia."

(http://ourfutureistbd.com/issues/steed-2010)

I think that this will be a very exciting election season, and I hope you'll stay tuned to what we have going on here in Maine.

tpidadmin said...

Thanks for your comment Alex. You write: "I hope you'll stay tuned to what we have going on here in Maine."

Will do. Don't hesitate to send future press and media releases to thirdpartydaily@gmail.com

Alex Steed said...

Oops. I do realize that Eliot's name is "Eliot" and not "Elliott." I have been working with / emailing back and forth with an Elliott for the past two days and thus that spelling is apparently lingering on my typing fingers.

Will do. Thanks for letting me know where to send press/media releases.